Friday, February 15, 2008

Singing the Red Velvet Cake Blues

Happy late Valentine's Day to everyone! We had an adventurous holiday, as you will see. My goal was to bake a red velvet cake for Lester...from scratch. Not being a baker extraordinnaire, the results were interesting.

Alexis and I went to Winco to get the ingredients. They were out of red food coloring, so Alexis opted for blue. That was fine with me. Blue is Lester's favorite color, so a blue velvet cake, while not appearing very appetizing, would taste the same.

We started to make the cake. The recipe called for 1/3 cup of shortening. Not having shortening, I substituted butter. However, I thought that a stick of butter was only 1/4 cup, but as you all know, it is 1/2 cup. So, instead of 1/3 cup of shortening, I added 1/2 cup of butter.

The yellow butter and blue food coloring turned my cake batter teal, the exact shade, I kid you not, of our Maxima. Plus, the batter was thick and gloppy. Only somewhat daunted, I poured it into two cake pans and let my two teal cakes bake for 28 minutes.
That afternoon, we made the cream cheese frosting. The kids wanted it to match the cake, so it ended up a bright turquoise. We finished the damage by sprinkling it wth blue sugar crystals.
Here is the result:


(Er, thanks...I think.)

Lester said, "At least it came from the heart." I think that is his tactful way of telling me it didn't taste very good. But I really appreciate that he appreciated my effort. :-)

Here are a couple of cake close-ups.

(Put your sunglasses on for this one!)

(Note the eerie resemblance in color to our Nissan Maxima.)

The cake, however, was consumed eagerly by two little kids who, as far as treats go, don't have very discriminating palates.

(I can't decide if I like this or not.)

(See, Mommy, all gone!)

To be completely honest, after mixing the cake with Double Fudge Brownie ice cream, the cake wasn't so bad for the adults, either.

And this is what my thoughtful hubby got me. After what I went through this Valentine's Day, I deserve it.

9 comments:

Bridget said...

That cake is awesome! I have never seen a teal cake. Glad you documented that for posterity.

Darilyn said...

I laughed all the way through this. You are such a great writer Elizabeth. I can just hear your voice and I'm cracking up. I love the cake. I love that since they didn't have red you just went with blue.

Merilee said...

That cake is hilarious! What a open minded person you are. Why not blue? You crack me up.

Margaret said...

You're cooking/baking skills never cease to amaze me. I'm so glad that it's genetic. There's really no hope for me, is there? :) Kudos for the cake, though, it's more than I did. We had take out...

mahina said...

those are awesome photos! the cake looks, err, uh, delicious!! it was brighter than the picture i had in my mind from your description!

A+ for effort!

Elizabeth Dimit said...

M: Yes, it is a very bright cake! And delicious is not quite the word I would describe it. :-) Edible maybe, delicious, not so much.

Chelle said...

This is so great, I can totally see you all there in your kitchen going through this process. Thanks for the laugh.

Michal said...

i just wandered over from mahina's blog and laughed all the way through this post. i love how you compared the cake color to your car! that cake didn't look remotely appetizing, but i'm sure that it tasted great. a little extra butter never hurts!

Betsy said...

When I noticed that my blog was getting hits based on "teal velvat cake," after enough of these hits I decided to google the term myself to see if it was possible that another person had achieved this fiasco. Amazingly, I found your site. Are you telling me there are two women in this country who made teal cakes? (http://thebetsygspot.com/the-cake-that-ate-my-day)