Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's No Contest...I Have the Sweetest Kids in the World

I had a late night. At a fabulous baby shower at Bridget's for Jen Crosby, someone referred to the Pioneer Woman's blog and how they enjoyed reading her love story. Then I came across the same blog on Darilyn's blog. So, needless to say, I was hooked.

After some fishing through the Pioneer Woman's blog, I found the first chapter in meeting the Marlboro Man and steadily read through the next six or so chapters. The clock on the computer kept ticking toward midnight, but I just couldn't stop!

I finally went to bed but couldn't sleep, so it was probably close to 1 a.m. before I succummbed to slumber. Anyway, I got up about 8:15 and fed the kids and the cat and tumbled back into bed. A persistent voice in my head said I should stay up, but I was SO tired.

So, I dozed off and on for a while. I kept hearing the microwave door slam shut. So I told the kids to stay out out of the kitchen. Then my annoying alarm clock beeped at 10 a.m. (I know, some of us have the rough life). The sun was streaming through my window, and I KNEW I should get up. But you know how it is when you sleep too long. You just feel gloggy and groggy and totally NOT wanting to get out of bed.

Then who should appear but Alexis carrying a cookie sheet with an almost-empty glass of milk (two-thirds spilled on the stairs, but I didn't care), a bowl of cottage cheese, and a bowl of oatmeal! It was breakfast in bed! My goopy, lazy bedhead feeling fled because of the goodness of my sweet little girl.

I love her so much!

7 comments:

Bridget said...

That is so cute! Do your kids seriously occupy themselves in the morning while you sleep until 10am??? I can't even remember the last time I slept that late. I think it was high school.

mahina said...

i think the last time b slept that late was actually more recent than that! she slept in the weekend we watched their kids while they had a "night away" in portland! haha!

i love that my kids let me go back to sleep after i get nani off to school! there have been mornings when i didn't get out of bed again until 10:30 and only because kawena had woken up and needed out of her crib!

saturdays, and now sundays, are great because mitch and i just sleep in and the girls get the baby up and bring her downstairs to play until we finally get up!

sweet!

Merilee said...

Way to go Alexis! What a sweet girl, bringing her mom breakfast in bed.
I am also hooked on the marlboro man story. I love catching up when I've missed a few.

Lisa P said...

What thoughtful children you have. I'm sure that one made your day! Journal entry material indeed!
I hope the mess wasn't so bad to clean up.

Bridget said...

Just for the record Mahina- we slept in until 8am that weekend. I know, we're total rebels. :)

Margaret said...

10 a.m. on weekday? ay, hermana tan floja! :) that is so sweet of alexis! when are you going to send her out here so she can watch jake for me and bring me breakfast in bed?

Darilyn said...

What a sweet girl. I love breakfast in bed. Especially when I haven't asked for it. I've been known to actually tell my husband, children, whoever will listen, to bring me breakfast while I lay in bed reading.