Friday, September 26, 2008

The Ultimate Irony

As I mentioned in an earlier post, our car was among the victims of an apparent attack on inanimate objects in the Dimit household.

I was without my beloved Maxima for nearly THREE weeks. Special thanks to my good friends Bridget, Brenda, and Sarah for helping with preschool carpools during this stressful time.

Finally, I get word that the car has been fixed. Lester is in Japan, and my wonderful aunt Deslie has flown in from Utah to help me out for the week. So Deslie, Brandon, and I cram our bodies into the Talon for the ride to Forest Grove to pick up the car.

At the corner of Rigert and 185th, the Talon dies. On my way to pick up one newly fixed car, the other one quits. It doesn't sputter, it doesn't lurch, it just stops running. After turning the engine over thirty times, it finally roars to life and off we go on a wing and a very fervent prayer made at the stoplight of Farmington Road and 209th.

Deslie says she should drive the Talon ahead of me on the way home to make sure she isn't stranded in case of a breakdown. I heartily concur.

We arrive at the auto body shop in Forest Grove only to be told two things:
1- The Maxima needs a new battery...NOW. The mechanic had to jumpstart it to bring it from the back.
2- While the Maxima is idling, the mechanic informs me it needs to be filled up...NOW.

So instead of safeguarding Deslie in the Talon, she is my wingman, making sure I arrive at the gas station and Les Schwab's without incident.

Three hours after starting out, we arrive home safely with both cars and our sanity intact (sort of).

I really despise inanimate objects.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh I so feel your pain. We have had old cars our entire marriage with more car problems then I can say. That is Irony alright. I'm glad it's over and hopefully things start turning up now.

Darilyn said...

Why is it that car problems cause so much stress? I can't stand car problems either. We have been having some moments with our car lately too. Yuck.

Chelle said...

That is pretty crazy! Sorry you've had car problems lately. That's such a pain. I hope things go well with the cars at least for a while.

Bridget said...

Oh, Elizabeth. Let's hope you're done with car problems for a VERY long time.

Melissa said...

You're kind of living on the edge, Elizabeth! I hope you stay on the safe and comfortable side of awhile.

Angela said...

I love reading your blog. I hope your car troubles are over for a while. Have a great Fall.

Tonya said...

That is what I would call the ultimate irony. So crazy! Glad everything finally came together and both cars and all people in cars arrived home safe and sound:)

Tonya said...

Hey! I tagged you on my blog:0)