Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Matter of Perspective

I HATE inanimate objects (except chocolate, of course).

That's because in the past week or two, the following inanimate objects have broken. This list is not necessarily in order of importance.
- DVD Player
- Microwave oven
- Dishwasher
- Car (AGAIN! But this time I was NOT driving, and so I don't care as much as I might otherwise. No one was hurt, except our car (and the other car).

So far, the rest of our appliances are still ticking (cross our fingers and keep our repairman on speed dial).

BUT, none of this really matters when I have a sweet daughter who waves to me from the bus and a son who gives me bushels of dandelions. He even filled a plastic cup with ice water for the dandelions. I loved it, even if the dandelions didn't.

And as a funny postscript. I told Brandon he had to go to bed. He had his favorite "circle blankie" tied around his shoulders and informed me that "Superheroes don't go to sleep. They stay awake." Maybe I was just over-stressed from dysfunctional appliances, but I about died laughing.

Thank goodness I get to keep Brandon and Alexis and Lester forever, and I can ditch the appliances.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I second that!! When it rains it pours doesn't it! The good thing is that you have it all in proper perspective!

That story about Brandon is so cute!

Teresa said...

Yikes! Hope you get them all fixed!

That is SO cute and SO funny about the super hero of yours. Too cute!!!

Darilyn said...

Great perspective. It does seem to happen all at once doesn't it? Maybe I should be concerned that my toaster stopped working.

I love that Brandon put dandelions in water for you.

Bridget said...

No mention of your birthday today???!!! Come on girlfriend. Put the spotlight on yourself!

All those things breaking down usually happen for me when Nathan is out of town too.

mahina said...

you will survive because you have the right perspective and attitude! those are the things that matter most.. the things you can keep for forever.

and happy birthday again! i'm sure you'll hear me say it at least several more times before the day is over!

Melissa said...

Hi Elizabeth, it's Melissa. I'm just blog stalkin' ya - sorry. As far as the appliances go, they usually come in threes, so I'm thinking you're more than good.

Tonya said...

I'm SO GLAD you came over to sneak a peek at my blog! Sorry about all the break downs. I am positive that we were the car right behind Lester that fateful day. I saw the bump, two cars pull over and a bumper fall off a car. When we passed I looked over and said, "Hey,I think that's Lester Dimit"! I don't know how I knew that. I guess I must have met him before or have seen him with you before. You do have a great attitude;0)

Allie's Antics said...

This will seem very unorthodox, but I'm trying to get in touch with your husband, Lester a former cohort of mine in Santiago, Chile.

If you wouldn't mind passing on my contact to him, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Blake Dursteler