Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Whose Beach Is It, Anyway?

On Saturday, the Masons invited us at the last minute to go to the beach with them. But it was not just ANY beach, it was HUG POINT!

You see, Lester and I got engaged at Hug Point. He picked me up after work one Friday evening, and drove me to the beach. He brought a duffel bag which he set by a driftwood log while we took a walk. He kept looking back at the duffel bag until finally he suggested we turn around.

"Why" I asked.

"I don't want the sea gulls to make off with my duffel bag."

Okay, I was young, and I was naive, but I believed him.

Little did I know that contained in the duffel bag was dinner, roses, and my engagement ring! No wonder he kept looking back at the bag!

It was sunset and it was so romantic to get engaged at HUG POINT, and so I was so happy when Mahina suggested going there.

But when we arrived at the beach, this is what we saw:

- A couple of guitarists crooning in a cave

- A canopy set up from which dangled a black flag with a white skull and crossbones. This canopy belonged to a group (coven, congregation, herd, whatever) of people dressed in pirate gear.

- A small wedding party. The photographer was my hero because she pulled Brandon from a deep tidal pool in which he had fallen. Gasp!

- A large wedding party (A note about the large wedding party. We were playing happily in the sand near some waterfalls when we were asked to pack up and leave so they could hold the wedding! Of course, we said yes and left, but I mean, really! As Mahina says, if you want to hold a wedding there, you stake out your spot a few hours early so people don't have to pack up five kids and endless beach toys on a moment's notice.

Of course, after all that, could I remember the exact spot that Lester proposed?

I could not.

Although I have a suspicion it was where the pirates were hanging out.

8 comments:

mahina said...

i sure was a very odd assortment of beach goers that day, wasn't it? it was still very fun and i was glad you were all willing to be so spontaneaous with us!

Darilyn said...

haha, pirates huh? That sounds like something I need to see.

Dina said...

We got engaged there too! And here I thought Robert was so unique....:)

Bridget said...

That is so funny. At least now this trip to Hug Point offered a memory of its own. :)

Sarah said...

How fun!! That's funny that their were pirates!

Melissa said...

Why have I never been to Hug Point? It sounds very adventurous and romantic. I must go.

Tonya said...

Hug Point seems to be the happenin'
spot! Hooray to the photographer for saving your son. Scary!

Unknown said...

Arrgh! Sounds like you always have an adventure at Hug Point.