Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Just one of those days...

I must blog about today so I can cleanse my soul emotionally.

I KNEW it was going to be a crazy day, but still...

AM routine:
- Bathe Brandon and strip my sheets because he's in my bed when his diaper chooses to leak.
- Feed kids waffles
- Help kids empty dishwasher ("It's soo heavy, Mom!") and do vocabulary words with Alexis.
- Let kids watch TV while I am on a business call for 42 minutes (feel wretchedly guilty about the electronic babysitter, but what to do?)
- During said call, "MOOOOom, I'm starving!"
- At conclusion of said call, Alexis appears with peanut butter and jelly smears on her pink pants. Inspection downstairs revealed she made her brother a PB & J and had set out all the ingredients for her requested turkey sandwich. I was quite proud of her!
- Get another phone call from another client asking if "now is a good time to talk." It was somebody I REALLY needed to speak with, so sure, it's a good time. I barricaded myself in the study. A few minutes later, "Moom, I need two clean sheets of paper." I slide them under the door.
Client's cell phone dies. "Mooom, can you write the word 'name' for me, so I can copy it?"
- Happy to comply. Client e-mails with request to call office line. 15 minutes later, conclude call.

Arggh! It's almost time to catch the bus. Stuff kids in shoes and coats, throw a coat over my PJ's and march to the bus stop.

PM Routine
- Shower...finally! Am in big rush to get Brandon to Bridget's by 1 p.m. because of 1:15 doctor's appt. Fortunately, I realize appt. is not until 2:15. Whew, I have a little time.
- Load Brandon in car. CAR DOES NOT START. I have a dead battery! .
- Go get neighbors. At one point, I'm on the phone with Lester, I have my neighbor, her teenage son, her friend, and myself trying to figure out how to start car battery. After Lester's threat to hold a car clinic on Saturday, we have liftoff!
- Go to doctor, pick up Brandon, race to VT appt. No one is home.
- Go pick up Alexis from friend's house. No one is home.
- Go to store with Brandon. Return to friend's house, pick up Alexis.
- Pick up babysitter, return home.
- Sort of work for 1.5 hours.
- Babysitter leaves; help hubby prepare dinner for kids.
- Return to office. Do blog.

Okay, I have purged my soul. Now I can work. Thanks for listening.

9 comments:

Bridget said...

Crazy girlfriend! I didn't know your battery died! UGH! Here's to a better day tomorrow!

Bridget said...

And at least we were here when you came to pick up Brandon, right? :)

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Yes, for that I am very grateful. If you'd been gone, I would have thought I was going crazy! :-) Although I would have supposed that you would have gone to pick up Maren at the bus stop. But knowing my day, you could have been anywhere....

Darilyn said...

That is quite the day. I especially smiled at the part where you threw your coat over your pajamas and went to the bus stop. I DO THAT ALMOST EVERY DAY. Do you have tons to do on Friday? I could watch your kiddos for a couple hours on Friday for you! I'd love to do it!

mahina said...

i hate dead batteries! and doesn't it always happen when your rushing off to somewhere? i guess, if we wanted to take a positive spin on it we could say, at least you were at home and not in the middle of the target or costco parking lot with frozen food thawing in your trunk when your battery died! so be grateful!! haha! you can slap me tomorrow when you see me! ;-)

Elizabeth Dimit said...

D: I just might take you up on that offer! I'll call you. You're a sweetie.

M: I don't know what to say to you. Maybe I will slap you around a bit. But then, you always make me smile. So, you're safe for now! :-)

Margaret said...

at least nobody puked. :)

Merilee said...

Did you get your head screwed back on yet?

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Gracias, Margarita. Thanks for the persepctive. And, yes, Merilee, we are doing much better today. The only place I had to go today was to take Brandon to preschool. Maybe a Winco run tonight.