Saturday, March 8, 2008

Teal Cake, Be Gone!

I have finally redeemed myself. I had a hankering to make something with Dutch cocoa, since I had a whole new can of it. Mahina recommended trying the Texas sheetcake recipe on the Pioneer Woman's blog.

As a side note, I discovered my baking powder had November '98 stamped on the bottom of it! I am blaming the teal cake fiasco partly—okay, mostly—on the ancient baking powder. That sounds better than admitting I'm not a so-great chef. :-)

So with the teal cake disaster fresh in my mind, Alexis and I tetatively whipped up the sheetcake. Several positive omens were in our favor:

- I had to borrow sugar from Mahina. Between the two of us, I EXACTLY the right amount.
- I did not attempt to use food coloring.
- The recipe did not call for baking powder, fresh or otherwise.

We peeked into the oven as our sheetcake was baking. It smelled and looked divine, except for one small problem. It was higher on one side than another. But being a sheetcake, the difference in height was not too noticeable, especially when slathered with chocolate icing.

But most importantly, it passed the taste test! Everyone who tried it loved it. And it even looked like the picture on the Pioneer Woman's blog:
It's nice to have at least one recipe I can make well.

6 comments:

Merilee said...

Alright, I'm glad this one turned out better for you. Although Purple sheet cake could have been fun. I like when you guys add food coloring!

Bridget said...

YUM! That looks great. You definitely redeemed yourself.

mahina said...

that was H.E.A.V.E.N.L.Y! make it again, please!! mitch and i devoured the peice you left us last night with the ice cream you left! BTW, do you want that back??

Darilyn said...

Ah...Pioneer Woman, you gotta love her.

Elizabeth Dimit said...

M: I want it back, but I don't NEED it back. Please keep it! :-)

Chelle said...

I love the cake posts. I wanted to try the teal cake for the novelty but I really want to try this one, it looks so rich. Can't wait to see what you make next.