Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Good-bye, Mitch and Mahina...and Nani, Kale'a, and Kawena

It was with great sadness that I saw Mahina's Chevy Tahoe go up the hill away from our house yesterday afternoon for the last time. She was followed by Mitch in the super-loud diesel truck that hauled their fifth-wheeler.

Ever since Mahina welcomed me to the ward and neighborhood four years ago with a basket of fresh fruit, we've been good friends. The joy and convenience of having a close friend just up the hill (and what a hill!) has been amazing. It got to the point she'd just say "hi" on the phone and I'd know who it was. We did so many spontaneous things together, and had countless play dates and babysitting swaps with our kids (who fought only a few times a week).

I've cried with and laughed with and teased and confided in Mahina, which should be Hawaiian for "loyal friend," instead of "moon goddess." Personally, I think she made the "moon goddess" definition up, but don't tell her that. :-)

I will miss you, Mahimas.

PS: Don't ask me what the sex of the baby is, because I don't know. Believe me, I have tried many tricks to find out, but that girl is too sneaky for me!

8 comments:

Darilyn said...

I've been thinking about you today Elizabeth. It's so hard to say goodbye to people that are dear to us. I will miss Mahina's smile and her willingness to do all sorts of fun things.

Chelle said...

What a great post. And what a very, very sad thing for you and your kids. But what incredible memories you have.

Melissa said...

It's sad to see them go. Perhaps the blogging will help - I don't feel so far from my friends & family when I see the little details of their daily life.

Mandy said...

Its so hard to be the one who has to see a close friend move away then to be the one who is moving. Mahina and her family will be greatly missed!!

Tonya said...

I will miss Mahina too. I think it's great that you guys shared such a bond. It's that kind of friendship that will last for a long, long time. And through blogging you can easliy keep a connection with her. Now you have a great excuse to go to new mexico on vacation:0) Anytime you want to go walking-i'm up for it.

Bridget said...

It really is hard to believe they really are truly GONE. So sad for you to drive by her house now and know it is empty. ;( Pray for a Mormon family to buy that house!

sarahseekingsanity said...

I hope you remember that friends moving just means you have more friends everywhere. Many people still here love ya lots!

mahina said...

haha! i promise i didn't make it up! ask my dad! he gave me the name!

you are so sweet to write this little tribute to our friendship! i love and miss you! thank you for calling me a "loyal friend", i don't know that i deserve that, but thank you nonetheless!

have you convinced lester to come visit us this summer, yet? keep working on him! i just have to see you guys!

thanks for all that you have done for our family and continue to do for us even after we have left! go visit mitch this week! i know he'd love to see you! he may even need lesters help putting the canopy on the truck...he's bringing it back with him, along with some other things!