Thursday, September 20, 2007

Monkey bars

Every childhood has its rite of passage...first steps, first words, potty training (yippee!), the first day of school.

But there are other childhood milesstones I've watched Alexis navigate toward on her way to self-sufficiency:
- Riding her bike (still with training wheels) with no fear.
- Belly flopping and dog-paddling in the pool (we're still working on technique).
- Pumping on the swings. Now she can soar to heaven on her own.
- Reading to her baby brother.
- Writing her name so more than one person can recognize it.
- And, the big one...crossing the monkey bars at school today! I waited at the bus stop and she was pressed against the glass shouting something to me. She tumbled down the steps. "Mommy, mommy, I crossed the monkey bars all by myself today!"

How much longer before she's doing everything all by herself? Will she always need her mom?

I hope so.

Because I'll always need her.

BTW, I'm not sure if she really got all the way across the monkey bars, because she still couldn't do it at home tonight. But she kept trying. And that's all that counts! :-)

3 comments:

Bridget said...

What great milestones. Way to go Alexis! I was following their bus yesterday afternoon and saw you walking with Alexis and Nani. That's so great you guys can help each other out with the bus stop thing too.

mahina said...

it is super nice that we can help each other out with the bus thing! i love it!

i can just imagine alexis yelling to you through the closed bus window. she gets so excited!! you go girl!

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Yep, I love helping out at the bus thing, too! And you're right...she's so excited about life!